A model resolution to pass at your Trade union branch or CLP or other organisation in support of British Gas workers on strike
This ____ notes:
1That the British Gas engineers are striking in response to fire-and-rehire plans that aim to force reduced pay and conditions on workers under the guise of protecting profitability.
2That Centrica is following the lead of other employers, such as Heathrow and British Airways, who are taking advantage of Covid uncertainty to force aggressive reforms on their workforces.
3That, despite claims of needing to ‘modernise’ its workforce, British Gas recorded an operating profit of £901 million in 2020.
This ___ believes:
1That British Gas workers are right to push back against any attempt to make them carry the burden of lost profits.
2That united action is the best way to defend workers’ rights against unscrupulous employers.
This ___ resolves:
1To send messages of solidarity to our local GMB branch.
2To lobby our local MP to support the strike.
3To send a delegation to the nearest picket line with our branch banner
4To support action by the British Gas workers in every way possible.
Before you go...
Counterfire is expanding fast as a website and an organisation. We are trying to organise a dynamic extra-parliamentary left in every part of the country to help build resistance to the government and their billionaire backers. If you like what you have read and you want to help, please join us or just get in touch by emailing [email protected] Now is the time!
More articles from this author
- Lenin on the state - video
- No US nukes in the UK: anti-war activists protest outside RAF Lakenheath
- Gatwick: militant workers know how to land a good deal - News from the Frontline
- Universities dispute in danger: are local settlements the thin end of the wedge?
- PCS President Fran Heathcote calls for united resistance to stop 91,000 civil service job cuts
- Royalty, republicanism and the ruling class: Why we booed Prince William
- ‘Let them go’: Dalston stands up to police immigration raid