As the left prepares for the possibility of taking power, Chris Nineham's timely new book analyses the British state and what the left can expect
What happens if a radical government gets elected in Britain? How will the banks, the civil servants, the media and the military react? Is the idea of a British coup far-fetched? How can the left prepare? Chris Nineham looks behind the myths at the reality of two hundred years of British state rule and brings us a warning from history.
“This gripping, fast-paced and provocative book is an alternative history of Britain. It shows how the carefully nurtured image of British fair play and liberalism has in fact concealed the real drama: the raw manipulation of power by and for a small number of people. British capitalism has historically actively undermined and suppressed any real change to the balance of power: this book warns that a future progressive government will face the same intransigence”
“An outstanding primer, these issues are more urgent than ever”
“Fascinating and insightful. A timely and important book”
“A very valuable, concise, salutary history”
“Home truths, deftly told”
“Chris Nineham is uniquely well placed to tell this story”
More articles from this author
- Radical off the pitch: what they don’t tell you about Maradona
- Ikea pushed back in victory for workers’ campaign
- Covid crisis: what are YOU getting for Christmas?
- Will a Covid vaccine save us?
- Letter to the left: gloves off, time to fight!
- Grenfell: blood on the hands of neoliberalism
- Scotland: independence, coronavirus and immigration policy