Goldsmiths strikers rallied defiantly as their strike entered its second week
Goldsmiths University staff on strike were in high spirits at a lively picket line and rally on Tuesday. Entering the second week of their strike, they remain determined to win and were buoyed by the outpouring of solidarity.
At a rally in the main courtyard, the strikers and supporting students were addressed by Richard Burgon MP, Deborah Hobson of The Liberation Movement, UCU General Secretary Jo Grady. They were also joined by Sage Nursing Home care worker who was part of the recent victorious struggle for higher pay who extended her solidarity. Brian Eno, who was due to attend but couldn't make it, sent in a moving and powerful message to the strikers reminding them of the importance of their struggle in resisting the Tory attacks on working people, education and the arts.
For the next three days, Goldsmiths UCU members will be on 'double strike' as they join the national UCU strike, and on Friday will join a London UCU march. Continue to show your support by getting down to their picket lines and donating to the strike fund.
Before you go...
Counterfire is expanding fast as a website and an organisation. We are trying to organise a dynamic extra-parliamentary left in every part of the country to help build resistance to the government and their billionaire backers. If you like what you have read and you want to help, please join us or just get in touch by emailing [email protected] Now is the time!
Shabbir Lakha is a Stop the War officer, a People's Assembly activist and a member of Counterfire.
More articles from this author
- Truss's government of ghouls
- Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi: Next steps for the Labour left - video
- Sri Lanka: Uprising and reprisal – interview
- Audrey White: Why I confronted Keir Starmer - video
- Hot strike summer: Posties prepare to strike with 97.6% yes vote
- Why barristers are striking and why you should support them - video
- 'They were determined to send Gota home': how Sri Lankans toppled the President - video