The state of emergency and the so-called 'fight against terrorism' in Turkey has been used to silence anybody calling for peace and democracy
Late last night the homes of two joint leaders of the People’s Democratic Party (HDP) were raided and both were arrested alongside 10 other MPs. Turkish police raided the Ankara home of HDP co-leader Selahattin Demirtaş and the house of co-leader Figen Yüksekdağ in Diyarbakır.
Both leaders have been playing a key role in bringing together people of Turkish and Kurdish origin against the war mongering divisive politics of the ruling government. HDP is the third largest party in Turkish parliament, with 59 sitting MPs. MPs are usually immune from prosecution, but the HDP's immunity was controversially lifted earlier this year.
In the aftermath of the arrests, the Government blocked all access to social media across the country (including twitter, facebook and whatsapp).
Demonstrations have begun taking place in the UK against these latest attacks, with protestors congregating outside the BBC during the early hours of last night and this morning outside Downing Street. Further protests are being planned and updates will be provided in due course.
Supporters are urged to strengthen solidarity by writing to their local MPs, to the Turkish Embassy and to the Turkish Government.
Organisations/Trade Unions/Universities are asked to issue press releases /statements condemning the latest attacks on media freedom and democratically elected MPs.
As SPOT we are calling for an end to the state of emergency and for the release of all the HDP MPs arrested last night, as well as all opposition journalists, writers and academics arrested under the recent purge on opposition media outlets
In solidarity, SPOT (Solidarity with the People of Turkey)
More articles from this author
- The left and the Unite election
- Don’t be confused by complexity: defending Julian Assange is defending democracy
- Round 3: Kill the Bill protesters take to the streets across the country
- Jobs saved, threats lifted: industrial action beats the bosses at Goldsmiths
- NEU to teach Pimlico Academy a lesson - News from the Frontline
- No leeway for Leaways: solidarity with striking teachers
- We will not be silenced: list of #KillTheBill protests around the country this weekend