Major mass movements in Britain are collecitvely organising a Convoy to Calais. Now is the time for solidarity with refugees
Hundreds more refugees have drowned in the Mediterranean, the British government are refusing to even take parentless children from Calais, and Syrian refugees are being forced back into the jaws of the war they have fled. All this in the span of a week.
We want to make the Convoy to Calais on 18 June a huge demonstration of solidarity with refugees from the ordinary people of this country. The major unions are in, the biggest social movements are in, the Muslim community is in. Are you?
If you would like to help here's what you can do:
- Come on the Convoy. We need every last lorry, van, bus, car, motorbike or scooter that can come to be with us. Let us know you're coming by registering, and making a donation to help with the costs.
- Collect money and materials. We need material and we need money. Collect in your workplace, union, community, place of worship or just among your friends. Every bit counts.
- Even if you haven't collected anything do come on the Convoy. We need hands to unload all we take in Calais and a massive show of solidarity.
- And if you can't come, do make sure you give the Convoy a big send off at our eve of Convoy rally in central London on Friday, 17 June. And if you miss that, see us off on the day itself in Parliament Square.
- What ever else you do spread the word. Visit the Convoy to Calais Facebook page. The International appeal statement is available online in French, German and Spanish.
More articles from this author
- Palestine: a history of colonialism, occupation and resistance - Counterfire Media Podcast
- The public supports urgent action on climate chaos: it's government that is failing
- Trump in the tropics: Bolsonaro takes power in Brazil
- Fast food workers fight back
- Stop Tommy Robinson, All out for 17 November - Counterfire Freesheet November 2018
- Tommy Robinson and the far right must be driven out of mainstream politics now
- Stop Tommy Robinson: leaflets for National Unity Demonstration Against Fascism and Racism