Hungarian writer and revolutionary Georg Lukács contribution to Marxist philosophy was unparalleled. His archives must be kept open and his work remembered
"We, the undersigned, wish to express our deepest worries about the resolution of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences to close down the Lukács Archives in Budapest. Görgy Lukács was one the significant philosophers of the 20th century, an author of modernity outstanding not only in philosophy but also in the fields of political mindedness, theory of literature, sociology and ethics An author of international renown, Lukács represented one of the intellectual peaks in Hungary's history of civilisation, his works constitute a part of the treasures of humankind. For decades, the Lukács Archives has facilitated academic and non-academic circles to have access to the documents related to the philosopher's life and professional achievements. As it is located in the philosopher's home of his late years, it has also served as a memorial place devoted to a decisive personality of our era. Based on the above, we call on the authorities in charge to re-consider their decision, which took the international community of science and art by consternation and sorrow."
Please sign and share the petition as widely as possible.
More articles from this author
- Extinction Rebellion: a movement recharged
- Israeli elections: apartheid or apartheid-lite
- The kids are still alright: the climate fightback continues
- What happens to Julian Assange has implications for us all
- What's to blame for knife crime?
- Strike to demand action on climate change
- Algerian uprising ousts President Bouteflika – and it isn’t stopping there