Hungarian writer and revolutionary Georg Lukács contribution to Marxist philosophy was unparalleled. His archives must be kept open and his work remembered
"We, the undersigned, wish to express our deepest worries about the resolution of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences to close down the Lukács Archives in Budapest. Görgy Lukács was one the significant philosophers of the 20th century, an author of modernity outstanding not only in philosophy but also in the fields of political mindedness, theory of literature, sociology and ethics An author of international renown, Lukács represented one of the intellectual peaks in Hungary's history of civilisation, his works constitute a part of the treasures of humankind. For decades, the Lukács Archives has facilitated academic and non-academic circles to have access to the documents related to the philosopher's life and professional achievements. As it is located in the philosopher's home of his late years, it has also served as a memorial place devoted to a decisive personality of our era. Based on the above, we call on the authorities in charge to re-consider their decision, which took the international community of science and art by consternation and sorrow."
Please sign and share the petition as widely as possible.
More articles from this author
- Palestine: a history of colonialism, occupation and resistance - Counterfire Media Podcast
- The public supports urgent action on climate chaos: it's government that is failing
- Trump in the tropics: Bolsonaro takes power in Brazil
- Fast food workers fight back
- Stop Tommy Robinson, All out for 17 November - Counterfire Freesheet November 2018
- Tommy Robinson and the far right must be driven out of mainstream politics now
- Stop Tommy Robinson: leaflets for National Unity Demonstration Against Fascism and Racism