Stop the War statement demands the government publicly commits to an immediate end to British bombing of Syria
Revelations that British fighter pilots have been secretly attacking Syria under US command reveal both the government's contempt for democracy and its subservience to Washington foreign policy.
The news makes a mockery of Michael Fallon's promise of a full debate and vote in parliament on the issue.
Since the start of the "war on terror", jihadi organisation has spread from small pockets of Central Asia across whole swathes of the globe. Western bombing in Syria will do nothing to halt Isis.
On the contrary it will add fuel to the flames of war engulfing the whole region, and it will lead to an increase in terrorist attacks.
Stop the War demands the government publicly commits to an immediate end to British bombing of Syria. More widely we call for an end to military and diplomatic support for Saudi Arabia in its war on Yemen and for a stop to the bombing campaign in Iraq.
Tomorrow (18 July 2015) there will be a public meeting in London calling for an end to the bombing and Saudi attacks on Yemen.
Speakers include Diane Abbott MP, Chris Nineham (Vice Chair of Stop the War), Kim Sharif (Human Rights for Yemen) and Ahmed Al-ashaf (Yemenis Cultural Centre). The meeting takes place at 2.15pm, at the Bloomsbury Baptist Church, 235 Shaftesbury Ave, London WC2H 8EP.
More articles from this author
- ‘Journalism is not a crime’: protesters march for Assange
- Class and community: backing the Evonik workers
- Brighton bins win: GMB victory helps set the stage - News from the Frontline
- Making saving life a crime: the brutality of the Nationality and Borders Bill
- The billionaires and the race to the bottom: why Sage care workers are fighting on
- ‘Striketober’: the new militancy sweeping the US
- Welfare that makes you ill: the cruelty of the DWP