John Stewart, an activist campaigning against airport expansion, was stopped from entering the US on his speaking tour talking about the Heathrow Third Runway Campaign.
Heathrow campaigner John Stewart has been barred from entering America. Stewart, who was prominent in the campaign against the third runway, was turned back at JFK airport on Thursday after six hours of question by the FBI, the Secret Service and the American Immigration Service. No reason was given.
Stewart had been invited by American aviation campaigners to talk about the success in stopping further expansion plans at Heathrow.
Stewart, the long-time Chair of HACAN, which represents residents under the Heathrow flight paths, said, 'The drama started when I was escorted off the plane at JFK Airport. I was then questioned by the American authorities for 6 hours before being put on the next plane back to Heathrow. The authorities seem to have been concerned that direct action formed a part of the third runway campaign. But, in truth, it remains a mystery, particularly as I did not participate in the direct action and don't have a
Stewart added, 'I had never before made a transatlantic flight and now I have made two within 24 hours! But, more seriously, since they gave no reason it simply seems the American authorities wanted to keep me out of the country because I was centrally involved in the Heathrow campaign. It will not affect my speaking engagements in America as I will be skyped into them but it is worrying if the American authorities are barring people entry just because they don't agree with their views.'
More articles from this author
- Women's liberation and the trans debate
- Stagecoach in Scotland: next stop, strike action - News from the Frontline
- 'Royal College of Burnout': Why lecturers are striking
- The Tories' Winter storm: meetings on the crisis in your area
- Lambeth College strike: ‘This is about people, not just about pay’
- Unwelcoming the warmongers: Liverpool keeps up the pressure
- Brace yourself: storm approaching - Tunnel Vision October 2021