Protesters marched through the streets of Leeds against Andrew Lansley’s Health Bill. Report and video
The march assembled outside St. James’ hospital where cancer wards are threatened with closure. Over 250 people joined the protest - called by Keep Our NHS Public Leeds - which drew support from health workers including doctors, nurses, midwives, medical and nursing students as well as service users and other anti-cuts campaigners. People shouted slogans ‘Save our NHS’ and ‘Andrew Lansley you will fail …the NHS is not for sale’.
The marchers were popular with shoppers and passers-by and many cars beeped horns in support. A rally was held outside the Art Gallery including and was addressed by health workers.
The campaign is not going away, a public meeting addressed by the NHS campaigner Dr. Wendy Savage will be held in Leeds Civic Hall Council Chambers 1st June at 7pm. We are planning further protests outside hospitals and aim to bring in more trade union support for such a crucial campaign.
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!