Video from this month's Counterforum which examined the role of two leading Marxist revolutionaries.
Lenin was the leader of the Bolshevik Party and the architect of the Russian revolution. He remains the foremost Marxist theorist of political organisation.
Georg Lukacs is the greatest Marxist philosopher since Marx. But he was also an active revolutionary - a commissar in the Hungarian Workers Republic of 1919.
Together the writings of Lenin and Lukacs are a unique inheritance for activists today. Counterfire is organising a day of discussion on the work of these two historic figures.
This session reviews Lenin’s theory of political organisation, still one of the most controversial practical applications of Marxist theory to the reality of class struggle.
Chris Nineham examines Lukacs unique contribution to our understanding of class consciousness and the role of political organisation in social change.
John Rees looks at the recent revolutionary experiences from the East European revolutions of 1989 to the democratic revolutionary movements in Thailand and Iran using the framework developed by Lenin and Lukacs
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!