Graphic showing the vast scale of the Bank bailouts compared to estimates of benefit fraud for the last ten years
The bailout figure is £1.3trillion, the established Bank of England estimate.
The benefit fraud figure is calculated by adding up Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) estimates of fraud for the last ten years - see "Fraud and Error in the Benefit System, 2009-2010", page 17 Table 3.1.
Thanks to James Meadway for this comparison.
Also see: 'Who are the real fraudsters?'
Alex Snowdon is a Counterfire activist in Newcastle. He is active in the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Stop the War Coalition and the National Education Union. He is the author of A Short Guide to Israeli Apartheid (2022).
More articles from this author
- Palestinians in Gaza are cannon fodder for Israeli political games
- Apartheid under pressure – weekly briefing
- NEU Conference escalates the fight against the government
- Introduction – A short guide to Israeli apartheid excerpt
- Calling it what it is: Amnesty's bold stand against Israeli apartheid
- The bloody legacy of Bomber Blair
- Did someone say austerity was over? – weekly briefing