Graphic showing the vast scale of the Bank bailouts compared to estimates of benefit fraud for the last ten years
The bailout figure is £1.3trillion, the established Bank of England estimate.
The benefit fraud figure is calculated by adding up Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) estimates of fraud for the last ten years - see "Fraud and Error in the Benefit System, 2009-2010", page 17 Table 3.1.
Thanks to James Meadway for this comparison.
Also see: 'Who are the real fraudsters?'
Alex Snowdon is a Counterfire activist in Newcastle. He is active in the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Stop the War Coalition and the National Education Union.
More articles from this author
- Swinson’s choice: better a no deal Brexit than Corbyn
- Johnson out, Corbyn in: we need a general election – weekly briefing
- Johnson can be beaten, but not if we abandon Corbyn – weekly briefing
- A dangerous moment for the Corbyn project - weekly briefing
- The left needs to hold the line and fight the smears – weekly briefing
- European elections: results and prospects
- The weaponising of antisemitism