Graphic showing the vast scale of the Bank bailouts compared to estimates of benefit fraud for the last ten years
The bailout figure is £1.3trillion, the established Bank of England estimate.
The benefit fraud figure is calculated by adding up Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) estimates of fraud for the last ten years - see "Fraud and Error in the Benefit System, 2009-2010", page 17 Table 3.1.
Thanks to James Meadway for this comparison.
Also see: 'Who are the real fraudsters?'
Alex Snowdon is a Counterfire activist in Newcastle. He is active in the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Stop the War Coalition and the National Education Union.
More articles from this author
- The bloody legacy of Bomber Blair
- Did someone say austerity was over? – weekly briefing
- Not so hidden agenda: Ken Loach and Labour's war on the left
- Revolutionary ideas: What is a Revolutionary Party? - video
- Palestinian Authority: managing the occupation
- Israeli apartheid and the rebirth of Palestinian mass resistance
- Zionism and the origins of Israeli apartheid