Graphic showing the vast scale of the Bank bailouts compared to estimates of benefit fraud for the last ten years
The bailout figure is £1.3trillion, the established Bank of England estimate.
The benefit fraud figure is calculated by adding up Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) estimates of fraud for the last ten years - see "Fraud and Error in the Benefit System, 2009-2010", page 17 Table 3.1.
Thanks to James Meadway for this comparison.
Also see: 'Who are the real fraudsters?'
Alex Snowdon is a Counterfire activist in Newcastle. He is active in the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Stop the War Coalition and the National Education Union.
More articles from this author
- Israeli apartheid and the rebirth of Palestinian mass resistance
- Zionism and the origins of Israeli apartheid
- How British imperialism shaped Israel’s birth
- Labour backs Tory assault on democracy in Liverpool – CounterBlast
- Sarah Everard: Banning vigils is an assault on our rights – CounterBlast
- Sunak’s budget: austerity hasn’t gone away – CounterBlast
- Starmer’s shtick: Ruthless against the left, useless against the right - CounterBlast