Graphic showing the vast scale of the Bank bailouts compared to estimates of benefit fraud for the last ten years
The bailout figure is £1.3trillion, the established Bank of England estimate.
The benefit fraud figure is calculated by adding up Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) estimates of fraud for the last ten years - see "Fraud and Error in the Benefit System, 2009-2010", page 17 Table 3.1.
Thanks to James Meadway for this comparison.
Also see: 'Who are the real fraudsters?'
Alex Snowdon is a Counterfire activist in Newcastle. He is active in the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Stop the War Coalition and the National Education Union.
More articles from this author
- Decade of austerity: 10 reasons to get the Tories out
- Labour can win: general election is all to play for
- Labour's plan is what schools need
- The British State: A Warning - book review
- Election 2019: the chance for a green industrial revolution
- With friends like this: John McDonnell’s flirtation with the right is damaging and inexcusable
- Class, Party, Revolution: A Socialist Register Reader - book review