Thousands of high school pupils demonstrated in France on Thursday against President Nicolas Sarkozy's pension reform as strikes shut eight of France's 12 refineries.
A French high school student was undergoing surgery on Friday after being injured by a flash-ball shot by a police officer on Thursday. And in the northern city of Caen, a student's father said that his son had to have a five-hour operation after his head was hit by a tear gas grenade.
Students in the streets on Thursday:
- Rennes: between 5,000 and 8,000 students joined demonstrations.
- Saint-Brieuc: 4,500 students.
- Reims: 3,000 students.
- Brest: 2,000 students.
- Lens: 2,000 students.
- Orl√©ans: 1,700 students.
- Blois: 1,500 students.
- Montpellier: 1,500 students.
- Brive: 1,200 students.
- Touts, Dax, Nancy, Niort, Caen: 1,000 students.
- Bordeaux: between 4,000 and 5,000 workers and students.
- Toulouse: 20,000 demonstrators, including students.
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!