The RMT transport union has tabled a motion for the TUC Congress in Manchester in September which sets out a blueprint for a co-ordinated trade union and community fight back against the cuts programme and the "class warfare" of the ConDem Government.
The RMT motion calls on the trade union movement to;
∑ Call an immediate summit of affiliates to discuss the sole issue of how we can best coordinate industrial action to defend jobs, pensions and conditions
∑ Consider convening a urgent conference of affiliates and representatives of users of publicly funded services and the welfare state to establish a broad alliance against the cuts
∑ Organise an urgent national demonstration, lobby of Parliament and national days of protest against the cuts and fully involve trades councils in moblising for these events.
∑ Present a clear alternative to the cuts including public ownership, higher rates of tax for the rich, closing corporate tax loopholes and scrapping Trident replacement.
RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said:
"The TUC has to be the launch-pad for the fight back against the coalition Government's decision to unleash all out class warfare through their unprecedented attack on our communities, public services, welfare state and transport system. Our defence must be built on generalised strike action and community resistance in the biggest public mobilisation since the anti-poll tax movement.
"RMT is in no doubt that the government is using the deficit as a thinly veiled cover to engage in an ideological dismantling of the state and an attack on workers, and the most vulnerable in our society, which goes far further than even the dark days of Thatcher.
"As well as setting out plans for our own co-ordinated industrial and community action we also send a message of solidarity to our comrades in Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Spain and elsewhere who are fighting similar cuts to jobs, standards of living and public services."
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!