The national demo in London was great yesterday. Estimated at 20,000 people, it had a powerful atmosphere: vibrant, diverse and hopeful.
We commemorated those killed and determined to ensure they didn't die in vain, with a tremendous sense of purpose to build a bigger solidarity movement.
After yesterday's global day of protest, comes welcome news today that the Pixies join Gil Scott Heron and Elvis Costello in cancelling a gig in Israel. This is another boost to all of us promoting boycott, divestment and sanctions targeted at Israel.
Associated Press reports:
JERUSALEM ‚Äî The U.S. rock band Pixies has canceled a concert in Tel Aviv this week in the wake of Israel's deadly raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla.
The group's Tel Aviv promoter, Shuki Weiss, relayed a statement from the band announcing the cancellation "with great regret."
The band did not specify why it was pulling out of the gig, but organizers say the decision was related to last week's naval raid, which killed nine pro-Palestinian activists.
Various artists have recently come under heavy pressure from activists to boycott Israel because of its treatment of the Palestinians. Elvis Costello recently canceled a planned concert to protest Israeli policies.
Others, such as Elton John and Rod Stewart, are still planning to play Israel this summer.
From luna17 activist
Alex Snowdon is a Counterfire activist in Newcastle. He is active in the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Stop the War Coalition and the National Education Union.
More articles from this author
- Labour backs Tory assault on democracy in Liverpool – CounterBlast
- Sarah Everard: Banning vigils is an assault on our rights – CounterBlast
- Sunak’s budget: austerity hasn’t gone away – CounterBlast
- Starmer’s shtick: Ruthless against the left, useless against the right - CounterBlast
- The vaccine is essential, but not a magic bullet - CounterBlast
- The Spark That Lit the Revolution: Lenin in London and the Politics that Changed the World - book review
- Covid19: the struggle to save lives means opposing this criminal government – CounterBlast