Teeside People's Assembly is calling on people to support an anti-fascist counter-protest in Stockton this Saturday
Teesside People's Assembly is urging all who oppose racism and Islamophobia to support an anti-fascist protest in Stockton-on-Tees on Saturday 28 July.
Known fascist activists, previously involved with the EDL and similar groups but now part of the far-right 'For Britain' party led by Anne-Marie Waters, plan to hold a march and rally in Stockton under the banners of 'Gays Against Sharia UK' and 'Standing for Britain'.
The 'No Place for Hate' action will protest against the far-right's presence in the town.
Teesside PA activist Barbara Campbell commented:
Gays Against Sharia and Standing for Britain are fronts set up by far-right groups intent on inciting hostility towards the local Muslim community, which they seek to scapegoat. We are organising this counter-protest to oppose the fascists' message of intolerance and to make it clear that Stockton is no place for hate.
The campaigners are asking those opposed to racism and fascism to assemble at 1:30 pm on Saturday near the fountain in Stockton town centre, where Dovecot Street meets the High Street. There they will distribute leaflets that promote a positive message of unity and equality.
Teesside PA's action is being supported by Stand Up To Racism North East and Unite the Union's Teesside Local Government branch.
Local Labour parties in Stockton North, Stockton South, Hartlepool and Middlesbrough have also declared their solidarity with the 'No Place for Hate' demonstration.
More articles from this author
- The left and the Unite election
- Don’t be confused by complexity: defending Julian Assange is defending democracy
- Round 3: Kill the Bill protesters take to the streets across the country
- Jobs saved, threats lifted: industrial action beats the bosses at Goldsmiths
- NEU to teach Pimlico Academy a lesson - News from the Frontline
- No leeway for Leaways: solidarity with striking teachers
- We will not be silenced: list of #KillTheBill protests around the country this weekend