The Guardian has published a wildly inaccurate and inflammatory advert from supporters of the Israeli state branding the Palestinian resistance as 'child killers'. Activists respond
We write to condemn the Guardian's decision to print a wildly inaccurate and inflammatory advert from supporters of the state of Israel branding the Palestinian resistance as 'child killers'. This is especially sickening when Israel's latest bombardment of Gaza has killed close to 400 Palestinian children. Amnesty International has condemned the deliberate targeting of schools and hospitals by Israel as a war crime.
Among the advert's very many inaccuracies is the claim that those forces opposing Israel do not have the support of Palestinians when the current Israeli offensive is against a united Hamas-Fatah government which commands the support of the majority of Palestinians.
Sadly the decision to print this advert, rejected by The Times newspaper, is another sign of the increasingly pro-Israeli bias of the Guardian's editorial policy, including the gross underestimate of the size of last Saturday's Gaza protest demonstration. You are repeatedly running the slur that those who campaign in support of Palestine are anti-Semitic when the very many Jews in the movement and the movement as a whole have repeatedly made it absolutely clear that this is not the case.
We call on the editor to redress the balance in future coverage.
• John Rees Co-founder, Stop the War Coalition • Lindsey German Convenor, Stop the War Coalition • Sarah Colborne Director, Palestine Solidarity Campaign • Kate Hudson General Secretary, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament • David Hearst Middle East Eye • Tariq Ali Writer and broadcaster • Barnaby RaineOrganiser of the Jewish Bloc on demonstrations for Gaza
John Rees is a writer, broadcaster and activist, and is one of the organisers of the People’s Assembly. His books include ‘The Algebra of Revolution’, ‘Imperialism and Resistance’, ‘Timelines, A Political History of the Modern World’, ‘The People Demand, A Short History of the Arab Revolutions’ (with Joseph Daher), ‘A People’s History of London’ (with Lindsey German) and The Leveller Revolution. He is co-founder of the Stop the War Coalition.
More articles from this author
- Would you trust the spies planning your assassination to keep you safe?
- John Rees: The threat to free speech and how to defend it - video
- Vigil, identity politics, and the New Cold War
- Revolutionary Ideas: What is the Marxist method? - Video
- Lies leave the Assange case exposed – this is a political persecution
- Counting the cost of Coyne
- ‘Long to reign over us’? The monarchy, land, money and guns