Electricians working on various UK construction projects have decided enough is enough and downed tools to get PAYE status reports Jim T, a construction worker
Last week self employed construction workers were informed by their employment agencies that they would be (on average) £100+ equal to a 15% worse off, due to new taxation rules. Electricians working on various UK construction projects have decided enough is enough and downed tools to get PAYE status.
They are furious that they are having to pay the employers National insurance contribution as well as having next to no employment rights and no holiday pay. This comes on the back of an industry currently in a boom with record profits being made by UK construction companies whilst construction workers wages are at a level last seen 15 yrs ago and site accidents/ fatalities are on the rise.
Construction works are sick of bouncing from job to job and having to pay an intermediary (agency) a fee to get employment.
A few things that PAYE status achieves for construction workers are:
- Keeping trade cards up to date, new training courses, purchase of work clothing, boots, travel time, travel allowance, holiday pay, bank holidays, employment rights, redundancy, trade union recognition.
- When all of those are taken into consideration that is one big nod in the direction of PAYE Status.
- When the entire workforce is working under PAYE status they are in a position of greater strength in wage negotiations, bonus payments, trade union recognition, etc.
So if the whole industry was PAYE, wages would not be as set out in whichever national agreement rule book you have in your hand. They would be at a level where we could afford to live in the homes or eat in the restaurants we build and lets face it whilst were scatting around for decent pay and conditions the Chairman of the construction company we're working for has most likely already booked his holidays, topped up his pension, cashed in some of his shares and ordered his new car.
More articles from this author
- Modi and BJP secure massive victory in India's elections
- Building the 21 June demo locally
- David Cameron praises 'Health Heroes' while he destroys the NHS
- Understand the left case for independence before you dismiss it
- Maria Miller and Cameron’s cabinet of crooks
- Demand the alternative: six things you can do today
- Arundhati Roy: 'another way of looking at the world'