Protestors in London marched in solidarity with the Egyptian revolutionaries facing increasingly brutal state repression
Egyptian activists in London marked the anniversary of the start of the Egyptian revolution with an impressive march from Downing Street to the Egyptian embassy in Mayfair. Their demands were simple, an end to military rule and a return to democracy. Marchers chanted 'down with SCAF remove El Sisi, no to miltary rule' and carried placards demanding bread, freedom and social justice.
Speakers outlined the brutality of the coup, the ongoing repression of the Muslim Brotherhood and other oppositionists and the absurdity of the announcement of free elections when the Muslim Brotherhood, the biggest political party, is outlawed and its leaders are being beaten up and imprisoned. They called for a boycott of the elections by all progressive forces. As one speaker said 'once SCAF has dealt with the Brotherhood and stabilised the situation, they will of course turn on other opposition groups. This, in fact, has already begun'.
Calls for the unity of all democratic forces in Egypt were welcomed by the protestors. SCAF is successfully exploiting divisions in the movement in order to consolidate its rule. It is clear that there can only be progress once the the whole movement learns to stands shoulder to shoulder with all those on the receiving end of state repression, including the Muslim Brotherhood.
Chris Nineham is a founder member of Stop the War and Counterfire, speaking regularly around the country on behalf of both. He is author of The People Versus Tony Blair and Capitalism and Class Consciousness: the ideas of Georg Lukacs.
More articles from this author
- Cameron, getting caught and the new corruption
- Who starts it? Violence, protest and what the police are really for
- Social movements can beat attacks on the right to protest - podcast
- 'America is back': Biden and the continuation of US imperialism
- It’s not the vaccine, it’s the vacuousness: polling, politics and the Starmer slump
- Biden's presidency, the warmakers and the anti-war movement in the US
- Conscious barbarism: Pompeo ramps up war on Yemen in final days of Trump administration