Students from St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh have occupied the George Square lecture theatre at Edinburgh University against the proposed introduction of £9000 a year for students from the rest of the United Kingdom.
Aberdeen, St Andrews and Edinburgh have already announced that they will set fees at £9000 and other Scottish universities are expected to follow suit.
The Scotland-wide show of solidarity at Edinburgh University is to show that whilst the SNP government has ruled out fees for Scottish students, it is unacceptable that they are willing to impose the Con-Dems policies on students from the rest of Britain who want to come to Scotland.
The argument that Scottish universities have no other option are unfounded. The SNP government should be making the rich pay, rather than milking rest of UK students. Free education should be a right of everyone no matter where you are from.
More articles from this author
- When is a minority not a minority? When they're Bangladeshis living in Tower Hamlets
- Muslim opinion and the myth of 'tacit support' for terrorism
- March for Homes liveblog
- Graphic: Britain's Afghan balance sheet
- Graphic: large increase in anti-Muslim hate crime in London
- Graphic: minority of fatalities from terrorism in Europe due to Islamist attacks
- Graphic: Islamist terror accounts for only 0.7% of attacks in Europe