Birkbeck, SOAS and IoE UCU and UNISON branches have issued the following statement regarding the SOAS protest on Monday night.
"The University and College Union (UCU) and UNISON branches at Birkbeck, IoE and SOAS condemn the actions of police and of some security guards, in attempting to suppress the legitimate expression of opposition to the policies of David Willetts on the London University campus on Monday evening (13 June).
The behaviour of security guards and police was provocative and intimidatory and turned a good-natured demonstration into a scene of disorder.
Disproportionate force was used against the protest and four individuals were arrested.
The union branches assert their support to those who were improperly detained and reassert their determination to uphold the right to peaceful protest on the University campus."
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!