UNISON has today called for a cessation of military action in Libya, to allow the delivery of much needed humanitarian aid.
A statement from the union’s ruling body - its National Executive Council - said that “The record of the Gadaffi regime and the serious concerns over the safety of civilians in the areas of Libya that supported the revolt against his regime led to the United Nations Security Council resolution establishing the no-fly zone. However, the intervention of NATO forces potentially risks prolonging a civil conflict and a division on Libya, instead of a lasting solution that meets the legitimate aspirations of the Libyan people”.
General Secretary of UNISON, Dave Prentis, said:
“UNISON is calling for a peaceful solution and a cessation of military action, to enable the unimpeded delivery of humanitarian aid, protection for civilians and a genuine national dialogue on reform.
“The union wholeheartedly condemns the Gaddafi regime’s history of systematic human rights violations, including the promotion of terrorism abroad.”
From UNISON website
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!