The whole of the left must unite to defend Jeremy Corbyn from this outrageous attack
We strongly condemn the suspension of Jeremy Corbyn from the Labour Party pending investigation. This is an outrageous attack on the whole left.
The EHRC report published today does not uphold claims that Labour under his leadership was institutionally antisemitic and provides no justification for this action taken against him.
Jeremy Corbyn’s statement in response to the report which is being used as the justification for his suspension clearly acknowledges that there is antisemitism in the Labour Party but that “the scale of the problem was also dramatically overstated for political reasons by our opponents”. This is backed up by the evidence.
The decision to suspend him only clarifies further that allegations of antisemitism have been weaponised to attack Jeremy Corbyn and the left, and that Keir Starmer’s leadership is trying to bury the legacy of Corbynism and the left in the party.
The whole of the left must unite to defend Jeremy Corbyn, a life-long anti-racist, from this witch-hunt. The task is obviously to organise and defend the Corbyn movement. But equally obviously it cannot limit itself to an internal Labour Party operation. It has to be the whole progressive social movement and trade union movement. This is where Corbynism came from, this is its best defence.
Before you go...we need your help
More articles from this author
- Barnoldswick: Rolls-Royce lockout won't deter striking workers
- Writing for Counterfire: notes for contributors
- Growing university staff revolt as Northumbria UCU votes to strike
- Radical off the pitch: what they don’t tell you about Maradona
- Ikea pushed back in victory for workers’ campaign
- Covid crisis: what are YOU getting for Christmas?
- Will a Covid vaccine save us?