The whole of the left must unite to defend Jeremy Corbyn from this outrageous attack
We strongly condemn the suspension of Jeremy Corbyn from the Labour Party pending investigation. This is an outrageous attack on the whole left.
The EHRC report published today does not uphold claims that Labour under his leadership was institutionally antisemitic and provides no justification for this action taken against him.
Jeremy Corbyn’s statement in response to the report which is being used as the justification for his suspension clearly acknowledges that there is antisemitism in the Labour Party but that “the scale of the problem was also dramatically overstated for political reasons by our opponents”. This is backed up by the evidence.
The decision to suspend him only clarifies further that allegations of antisemitism have been weaponised to attack Jeremy Corbyn and the left, and that Keir Starmer’s leadership is trying to bury the legacy of Corbynism and the left in the party.
The whole of the left must unite to defend Jeremy Corbyn, a life-long anti-racist, from this witch-hunt. The task is obviously to organise and defend the Corbyn movement. But equally obviously it cannot limit itself to an internal Labour Party operation. It has to be the whole progressive social movement and trade union movement. This is where Corbynism came from, this is its best defence.
Before you go...we need your help
More articles from this author
- Why nurses are considering strike action
- Opposition to the Tories is only growing - Kill the Bill protesters hit the streets nationwide
- Alabama Amazon defeat: a wake-up call for the US labour movement
- Lessons need to be learned from the British Gas defeat - News from the Frontline
- British Gas: a body blow the whole movement has to learn from
- Stop the Tory attack: Kill the bill
- We will not be silenced: list of #KillTheBill protests around the country this weekend