Be part of a socialist organisation committed to fundamental change
Counterfire is a socialist organisation committed to building the biggest possible movements against war, austerity and racism. We believe that change happens when working people get organised and fight for it. Electing a Corbyn government would be a huge step forward, but politics is not only or mainly about what happens in parliament.
Whether or not we get real change depends on wider struggles in society, it depends on mass movements and on workers taking action. To build this kind of popular opposition there has to be a dynamic extra-parliamentary left, rooted in workplaces, communities and colleges. Counterfire has been central to the campaigning that has got us this far, always fearlessly challenging all forms of oppression and discrimination.
In the process of helping to build this resistance, Counterfire puts the case for a revolutionary socialism based on popular control of society and genuine liberation.
What we do...
Counterfire members are centrally involved in a whole range of campaigns from the People's Assembly and the Stop the War Coalition to fighting for justice for Grenfell, refugees rights and equal pay for women.
Our members have played a key role in supporting strikes, from the construction workers' wildcats, to the junior doctors, the railworkers, and the recent education strikes.
We put on some of the most creative and high profile political events in towns and cities across the country, like our recent celebration of Marx's 200 Birthday or the April conference on The Corbyn Moment.
We run one of the best read websites on the left which has scores of contributors and tens of thousands of readers every month and we distribute thousands of copies of the left's first free paper. Our arguments on the issues of the day are clear, accessible and to the point.
We analyse the world because we want to change it.
If you want to help us in any or all of this work, then please join now and get involved.
More articles from this author
- Palestine: a history of colonialism, occupation and resistance - Counterfire Media Podcast
- The public supports urgent action on climate chaos: it's government that is failing
- Trump in the tropics: Bolsonaro takes power in Brazil
- Fast food workers fight back
- Stop Tommy Robinson, All out for 17 November - Counterfire Freesheet November 2018
- Tommy Robinson and the far right must be driven out of mainstream politics now
- Stop Tommy Robinson: leaflets for National Unity Demonstration Against Fascism and Racism