Elaine Graham-Leigh explains the origins and limitations of identity politics and what a Marxist understanding of oppression and how to overcome it offers
Before you go...we need your help
Counterfire is expanding fast as a website and an organisation. We are trying to organise a dynamic extra-parliamentary left in every part of the country to help build resistance to the government and their billionaire backers. If you like what you have read and you want to help, please join us or just get in touch by emailing [email protected] Now is the time!
Elaine has been an environmental campaigner for more than a decade. She speaks and writes widely on issues of climate change and social justice, and is a member of Counterfire. She is the author of A Diet of Austerity: Class, Food and Climate Change and Marx and the Climate Crisis. Her sci-fi novel, The Caduca, is out now from The Conrad Press.
More articles from this author
- Fight the Fire: Green New Deals and Global Climate Jobs - book review
- Empty G7 promises are not going to solve the climate crisis
- People's Power: Reclaiming the Energy Commons - book review
- Women's oppression and its roots in class society - video
- The politics of science fiction
- The Women's Liberation Movement and the Politics of Class in Britain - book review
- Racism, sexism and ‘Karens’