The atmosphere of Islamophobia in which attacks on Muslims are becoming all too familiar has been whipped up throughout the 'War on Terror'.
The Stop the War Coalition condemns the despicable terrorist attack in Finsbury Park in the early hours of this morning. We send our condolences to the family and friends of the dead man and those of all the casualties. We have worked closely with the leadership of the Finsbury Park Mosque for many years and send them our deepest sympathy and solidarity.
As well as the appalling physical harm done, this was a terror attack designed to intimidate the Muslim community in the area and beyond. The Islamophobia that has been whipped up by governments and the media throughout the ‘War on Terror’ has contributed to an atmosphere in which attacks on Muslims are becoming all too familiar, though under-reported. Politicians have repeatedly used Islamophobia to bolster their positions, most notoriously during the last year's Mayoral elections. Theresa May's recent statements against tolerance have only made matters worse.
Stop the War will continue to campaign against British participation in foreign wars, many in Muslim countries. We will redouble our efforts to combat the racism and Islamophobia that they help to generate.
More articles from this author
- Stop the drive to war, return to diplomacy - Stop the War statement on Ukraine
- Stop the War statement on Kabul bombings
- More war won't help Afghanistan: Stop the War statement
- Christchurch terrorist attack: Stop the War statement
- Syria: the solution is not more military intervention
- Douma attack and the war in Syria - Stop the War statement
- Trump and North Korea - Stop the War statement