Issued 22 March 2017
Stop the War condemns the attacks at Westminster today. There can be no justification for the attacks on ordinary people in the street and those working in or providing security in the palace of Westminster. Our thoughts are with all those killed, injured or caught up in the incident.
The police have said that they have designated this as a terrorist attack, and it shares some of the features of other such attacks across Europe recently. Stop the War opposes the wars in the Middle East and South Asia.
We believe that these have led to an increase in terrorism which has made life more dangerous not just for people in those regions, but in Britain as well. We have to oppose terrorism but also confront the issues which help to fuel it, and search for a peaceful and just solution to the problems of the Middle East.
The role of our government should be to urgently look for such solutions, and not to maintain its involvement in wars which are helping to create this instability around the world.
More articles from this author
- Syria: the solution is not more military intervention
- Douma attack and the war in Syria - Stop the War statement
- Trump and North Korea - Stop the War statement
- Finsbury Park attack: Stop the War Coalition statement
- London Bridge attack: Stop the War statement
- May‘s plans on Syria: Stop the War statement
- Mosul: Stop the War statement