A podcast by Londonist Out Loud discussing the Levellers with John Rees
This week, N Quentin Woolf meets political activist and Levellers expert John Rees, to discuss the rise and fall of this 17th century political movement, and what their legacy is in London and the rest of the UK.
One of the most famous Levellers was John Lilburne, and to celebrate the 400th anniversary of his birth, Bishopsgate Institute hosted a conference in his honour . Speakers include Martine Brant and Peter Flannery (writers of Channel 4’s The Devil’s Whore), Katherine Clements (author of The Crimson Ribbon), Jeremy Corbyn MP, Tariq Ali (writer and broadcaster) and John Rees himself.
More articles from this author
- Why nurses are considering strike action
- Opposition to the Tories is only growing - Kill the Bill protesters hit the streets nationwide
- Alabama Amazon defeat: a wake-up call for the US labour movement
- Lessons need to be learned from the British Gas defeat - News from the Frontline
- British Gas: a body blow the whole movement has to learn from
- Stop the Tory attack: Kill the bill
- We will not be silenced: list of #KillTheBill protests around the country this weekend