A podcast by Londonist Out Loud discussing the Levellers with John Rees
This week, N Quentin Woolf meets political activist and Levellers expert John Rees, to discuss the rise and fall of this 17th century political movement, and what their legacy is in London and the rest of the UK.
One of the most famous Levellers was John Lilburne, and to celebrate the 400th anniversary of his birth, Bishopsgate Institute hosted a conference in his honour . Speakers include Martine Brant and Peter Flannery (writers of Channel 4’s The Devil’s Whore), Katherine Clements (author of The Crimson Ribbon), Jeremy Corbyn MP, Tariq Ali (writer and broadcaster) and John Rees himself.
More articles from this author
- Murad Qureshi - Standing up for Londoners
- Stop Boris: General Election Now - Counterfire Freesheet July 2019
- Miners' Gala shows we can kick back against the right
- Universities take global steps to fight climate disaster
- The environmental cost of the United States war-machine
- Football as resistance: women kicking back against bigotry
- BBC Panorama hatchet job on Labour antisemitism is a farce