Stop the War statement demands the government publicly commits to an immediate end to British bombing of Syria
Revelations that British fighter pilots have been secretly attacking Syria under US command reveal both the government's contempt for democracy and its subservience to Washington foreign policy.
The news makes a mockery of Michael Fallon's promise of a full debate and vote in parliament on the issue.
Since the start of the "war on terror", jihadi organisation has spread from small pockets of Central Asia across whole swathes of the globe. Western bombing in Syria will do nothing to halt Isis.
On the contrary it will add fuel to the flames of war engulfing the whole region, and it will lead to an increase in terrorist attacks.
Stop the War demands the government publicly commits to an immediate end to British bombing of Syria. More widely we call for an end to military and diplomatic support for Saudi Arabia in its war on Yemen and for a stop to the bombing campaign in Iraq.
Tomorrow (18 July 2015) there will be a public meeting in London calling for an end to the bombing and Saudi attacks on Yemen.
Speakers include Diane Abbott MP, Chris Nineham (Vice Chair of Stop the War), Kim Sharif (Human Rights for Yemen) and Ahmed Al-ashaf (Yemenis Cultural Centre). The meeting takes place at 2.15pm, at the Bloomsbury Baptist Church, 235 Shaftesbury Ave, London WC2H 8EP.
More articles from this author
- I'm a Palestinian from Jerusalem, where's my say?
- A memory buried under the debris of Babri
- Save our village from Israeli bulldozers: an open letter from Susiya
- Anti-Theresa May song could be No 1 at Christmas
- Extreme Podiatry: the situation for refugees in Calais and Dunkirk
- Charges dropped against activists that shut down Israel arms factory
- Why socialists should support Catalonia