An excerpt from Alexis Tsipras' final election rally speech at Heraklion, in Crete
"Greece is before everything else, the men and women who give it life. As our dear Manolis Glezos [the legendary man who in 1941 climbed the Acropolis to tear down the German Swastika flag and who today is MEP and MP for Syriza] has often told us:
"Do you hear the noise? It is history knocking on our door!" I call you all today to open that door through which comes our struggles, our dreams, justice, dignity. A people which have battled during five years against wild beasts, a people which has passed through iron and through iron at many times in its history, a people which has not buckled or bent is a people who know how to fight and who know how to win. And it will win!
I call you to struggle together to the end! I am certain that we will prevail, with courage and confidence in ourselves.
"Liberty demands virtue and audacity" [the words of the poet Andreas Kalvos, 1792-1869], we are going to conquer! We will win! On Sunday we will make history!"
Translated by Stathis Kouvelakis (into French) and Richard Drayton (into English).
More articles from this author
- Call to oppose racist rally in Stockton-on-Tees
- Spy Kids: children being used for covert ops
- Israel enshrines apartheid into law
- Trump Out, Tories Out, General Election Now! - Counterfire Freesheet July 2018
- PCS Ballot: The fight for decent pay is hotting up
- We stopped Trump
- Grenfell: First the injury, now the insults