600 workers walked out of Ratcliffe power station in support of a suspended safety rep today. A decision to picket the plant was taken at Saturday's rank and file construction workers conference.
Two of the East Midlands' leading activists work on this site. Management's suspension of a Health and Safety rep was seen as an open provocation.
Activists picketed the site this morning and several dozen workers refused to cross the picket line. Many others stopped and talked to the pickets, then went in to carry the argument on site.
As a result of tea-break canteen meetings, hundreds more walked off the job. Supporters of 'Site worker' told Counterfire they estimate well in excess of 600 workers joined the action.
More articles from this author
- When is a minority not a minority? When they're Bangladeshis living in Tower Hamlets
- Muslim opinion and the myth of 'tacit support' for terrorism
- March for Homes liveblog
- Graphic: Britain's Afghan balance sheet
- Graphic: large increase in anti-Muslim hate crime in London
- Graphic: minority of fatalities from terrorism in Europe due to Islamist attacks
- Graphic: Islamist terror accounts for only 0.7% of attacks in Europe