Paul Mason, author of Why It's Kicking Off Everywhere will be discussing the causes of and prospects for global revolt at the Festival of Dangerous Ideas, hosted by Counterfire, Verso Books and the International Socialist Group (Scotland).
Why It's Kicking Off Everywhere (Verso) asks the questions that are on the minds of millions of activists across the world. What's new about the global revolt? What role does the internet play in organising activists? Are students part of the working class?
Mason described his role at his recent book launch as a journalist asking the questions that could clarify the nature of the present upsurge of revolt. It is a revolt which began with a failed revolution in Iran in 2009, which he believes was the most reported revolution in history, thanks to the prevalence of camera phones and social media.
He takes us on a journey through riots on the streets of Greece to the modern slums of Manila via the fall of Egypt's Hosni Mubarak and the desolate landscape of Dustbowl America, following in the footsteps of John Steinbeck's characters in The Grapes of Wrath.
It's a fascinating read, and all progressive activists should make their way to the Festival of Dangerous Ideas to hear Paul Mason, Lindsey German, Owen Jones and others grapple with the dangerous ideas of our times.
More information on the Festival of Dangerous Ideas site
More articles from this author
- When is a minority not a minority? When they're Bangladeshis living in Tower Hamlets
- Muslim opinion and the myth of 'tacit support' for terrorism
- March for Homes liveblog
- Graphic: Britain's Afghan balance sheet
- Graphic: large increase in anti-Muslim hate crime in London
- Graphic: minority of fatalities from terrorism in Europe due to Islamist attacks
- Graphic: Islamist terror accounts for only 0.7% of attacks in Europe