Students at Strathclyde University have occupied the Geography and Sociology department on the eve of the university court meeting that will seal the closures of the Geography, Community Education and Music departments. The Sociology department will be turned into Social-Policy.
Principal Jim McDonald has shown no respect to staff or students: he has continually ignored protests and calls for consultation. Last week the university senate almost unanimously voted through the cuts and rejected proposals from the UCU for postponement and consultation. He is treating the university like a corporation: not a institution of study and learning.
Students have no other choice but to occupy their university in the face of an unaccountable and undemocratic management team. They are planning for action at the court meeting tomorrow and looking ahead to how they can build a movement to stop the closures and force out the principal at the start of next term.
This is part of the Con-Dem government’s offensive on our education and our public services as a whole. We need to unite the struggles to stop the cuts on all fronts. That is why all students should get to the picket lines and rallies on the 30th.
Send messages of support to: 07976743499 and on the facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strathclyde-Uni-Occupied/155062024567488?ref=ts&sk=wall
All out for the 30th: join the Coalition of Resistance strike support bus: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strathclyde-Uni-Occupied/155062024567488?ref=ts&sk=wall#!/event.php?eid=183227865065885
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!