A rally in support of Bryan Simpson will take place tomorrow in Glasgow. Bryan is a 22-year-old student arrested at his home in a dawn raid by police officers on 24th November 2010 for his part in the student protests.
Speakers Include: Liam Burns (NUS President ) Billy Hayes (CWU General Secretary), Len McCluskey (Unite General Secretary), Laurie Penny (Activist and Journalist), Mark Bergfeld (Education Activist Network), George Galloway (MSP candidate) and Louise Christian (Vice President of the Haldane Society of Socialist Lawyers).
Despite not committing any damage, assault or endangering anyone’s safety, the tabloid press attempted to paint Bryan as the "Scottish leader of the violent mob". After being arrested at his home at 6am, Bryan was taken down to Cumbria police station and questioned for 8 hours and was eventually released on bail due to lack of evidence. Bryan's bail date is up on 12th May, where he will find out if he is to be charged with violent disorder, a potentially serious charge that carries a mandatory custodial sentence. The maximum sentence is 5 years imprisonment.
29 April, 6pm
Strathclyde University Union
Link to the Facebook event.
Sign the statement
If you haven't already please sign his statement of support, where we already have the support of over 1,000 students, trade unionists, lawyers and prominent academics such as Noam Chomsky, Naomi Klein and Tony Benn.
Campaign website: http://www.defendbryansimpson.org
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!