Yesterday evening SOAS students occupied the Faber Building in support of their striking lecturers. They have issued the following statement:
We stand in solidarity with our lecturers, who are striking to defend their pensions, their pay, their jobs and higher education itself.
Our universities are facing the worst attack in a generation. Course funding is being cut, quality is being undermined by the introduction of market forces, and access is being restricted by unprecedented increases in tuition fees.
We believe that higher education plays a valuable social and economic role; that it is a right not a priviledge; and that it should be freely available to all.
All students are encourgaed to join us in the occupation and with staff on picket lines. We call on other universities to occupy and support those who have already done so. We will march on 26th March against the coalition government's unnecessary and destructive cuts
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!