Placard from occupation of Government Square in Tunis sets out the demands of the revolution.
The people want:
- to suppress Ben Ali's constitution
- the dissolution of the parliament and the chamber of counselors
- the foundation of a constituent assembly that represents the people
- the dissolution of the Constitutional Democratic Rally (RCD, Ben Ali's party) and the nationalization of all of its belongings
- the trial of Ben Ali's ministers and counselors
- the foundation of a Counsel for the Protection of the Revolution
- to repatriate Ben Ali and judge him for high treason and premeditated murder
John Rees is a writer, broadcaster and activist, and is one of the organisers of the People’s Assembly. His books include ‘The Algebra of Revolution’, ‘Imperialism and Resistance’, ‘Timelines, A Political History of the Modern World’, ‘The People Demand, A Short History of the Arab Revolutions’ (with Joseph Daher) and ‘A People’s History of London’ (with Lindsey German). He is co-founder of the Stop the War Coalition.