Doncaster residents, library users and trade unionists are fighting the closure of three branch libraries in the town.
Doncaster council has the unenviable title of the worst council in England after an Audit Commission slammed its practices. Such has been the chaos in the council, culminating in high profile, tragic failures in child protection that the former director at Kirklees council Rob Vincent has been drafted in.
Two years ago the then Mayor Martin Winter forced through draconian cuts of £632,000. This met fierce resistance but the cuts went through. Now the council are back for more with Wheatley, Bessacarr and Warmsworth libraries facing the axe.
Back in June campaigners held a successful Read-In at Warmsworth at which authors Dave Cryer, Steve Weatherill and myself spoke. Steve's costume characters entertained the kids.
The next Read In is at Bessacarr Library on 24th July. The final Read In is at Wheatley on 21st August.
More articles from this author
- Occupy Plymouth moves into the Plymouth Occupation Centre.
- N30 Plymouth _ Union Solidarity with Occupy Plymouth _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Dave Franklin PCS _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chaz Singh & Paddy Ryan, PTUC Hon President 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Phil Smith ATL _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Chris Webb CWU _ 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!
- N30 Plymouth _ Poem and Sarah Allen-Melvin PCS 30.11.11 _ Strike! Occupy! Resist!